Delon R. Newman—Software, Training and Design, Sole Proprietor
3/2019 - Present—Albuquerque, New MexicoConsulting & contracting as a software engineer. Developing data-oriented software products. Mentoring programmers at all levels of experience. Also volunteer time each week toward building systems to assist with coordinating community outreach.
University of New Mexico Hospitals, Web Analyst III
3/2019 - 3/2021—Albuquerque, New MexicoInitially worked as a contractor (from 3/2019 - 9/2019). Served as a senior developer on a team of nine. Coached junior developers on principles of computer programming, and computer science; helping them through challenges they deal with in their day-to-day work.
- Developed and maintained an extensible application for clinic logging and workflow.
- Within a few months helped bring a project to completion that had been stalled for over three years— an application for creating and administering surveys which enables users to create ad-hoc reports on received data
- Developed a time-tracking and leave request submission application
- Built an (easy-to-use) command-line utility to assist a junior developer with PHP upgrades
Various Companies, Freelance Programmer
9/1999 - 9/2019—Connecticut, Hawai'i, New MexicoClients have included small businesses, universities, staffing agencies (e.g. Robert Half Technology, ALTRES, & TekSystems) and large organizations (e.g. University of New Mexico Hospitals, Centeral New Mexico Community College, The Department of Veterans Affairs, Time Warner & Master Card) across industries (e.g. retail, marketing, health care, education, research, non-profit) in Connecticut, Hawaii and New Mexico. Have come to specialize in systems integration, business process management, and data-oriented programming.
Pacific Health Research & Education Institute, Data Manager
1/2013 - 1/2016—Honolulu, Hawai'iPerformed duties as a member of the research team for a NIH diabetes study (GRADE) including meeting with patients, processing lab specimens, etc. Also, served as IT liaison for the team, and developed custom software to improve day-to-day operations as well as many small scripts and programs for impromptu reporting and data analysis.
- Developed a workflow and case management system, with built-in reporting, scheduling and EHR features
- Developed an application that interfaced with a legacy console application (VistA), parsed text reports and generated PDF reports performing tasks that previously took hours in seconds
Pacific Health Research & Education Institute, Programmer / Analyst
12/2009 - 12/2011—Honolulu, Hawai'iServed as staff programmer on two NIH cancer studies (PLCO and NLST), developed custom data management, workflow and case management applications as well as many small scripts and programs for impromptu reporting and data analysis.
- Developed methods for dealing with some very complex logistical constraints imposed on the studies
- Saved the institute thousands of dollars in software and hardware purchases
Computers Period, Owner
5/2003 - 2/2009—Waterbury, ConnecticutProvided general IT services as a one stop shop for small businesses, advised clients on software and hardware purchases. Specialized in Windows/Linux integration. Provided development services for other IT companies.
Southern Connecticut State University, Programmer / Analyst
1/2005 - 7/2006—New Haven, ConnecticutWhile a student at the university, maintained and developed applications across university departments for the “Applications” team of the IT department. Performed Unix system administration and data management tasks.
- Developed a console application for importing CSV files into Oracle that provided data type analysis
- Developed a web site with extensive accessibility features for the Disability Resource Center
Naugatuck Valley Community College, Tutor / Mentor
1/1999 - 6/2004—Waterbury, ConnecticutTutored middle school, high school, and college students primarily in Math. Subjects included Elementary Math, Algebra, Geometry, Pre-calculus & Calculus.
Delon got his start professionally at 18 years old (in 1999) writing a data conversion script in Perl for his mother's client in the manufacturing industry. Since then he's worked for various companies, but primarily, he's been a freelancer and consultant.
He loves learning and helping others learn. He's a self-professed math and science geek, but he also loves music (especially Jazz), poetry, photography and hiking with his beautiful wife and their dog Blu.
Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your project.